2016 Summer Study Abroad in China
The Xavier University of Louisiana Confucius Institute encourages students to apply for the 2016 Summer Study Abroad in China Scholarship. This scholarship covers 1) group travels within China for at least $1,500 of monetary value; and 2) with the availability of funds, a Confucius Institute International Travel Scholarship.
Note that this program is subject to Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters’ approval. If the number of students enrolled in this program is less than what Hanban approves (between 15-20), then the trip will be cancelled prior to the reservation of international air tickets.
Eligibility: full-time Xavier graduate or undergraduate students or Confucius Institute affiliated students, who have studied Mandarin for two semesters at the time of travel, and who have not previously been a participant of the Confucius Institute Summer Study Abroad Program.
Proposed time: early summer. To reduce the cost of international travel, the group may depart New Orleans prior to Xavier University Commencement on May 7th, 2016. If your semester does not end until after May 7th, you may consider taking early final exams, if viable.
Scope of Award: at least $1,500 of monetary value for Travel within China for all students
Except for students’ personal purchases, group transportation, admission fees for cultural sites, tuition, meals and lodging are all picked up by the scholarship program.
Costs estimate for international travel: around $1,500 to $2,000.
- Air tickets: this depends on the time of travel. Typical number runs between $1,100 to $1,600 round trip.
- Regular U.S. passport fee (if you don’t have one yet): $135
- Passport and visa photos and etc.: $25
- Chinese visa: carrier fee $100; visa fee as of October 2015, $140.
Confucius Institute International Travel Scholarship for Xavier Students Only
Depending on the availability of funds, the Confucius Institute will provide some subsidy to offset the costs of student international travel on a merit basis.
A complete application package includes:
- The coverage page (downloadable through www.xula.edu/confucius/programs.php).
- A two-page cover letter (double spaced) outlining why you want to join the study trip to China, and how you envision sharing your learning outcomes in China with other students after the trip.
- A letter of endorsement from your faculty advisor or department chair regarding your presentation on campus or to the community after the trip (also downloadable through www.xula.edu/confucius/programs.php). This letter should be completed and emailed by your faculty advisor or department chair.
- Application Deadline: Send the completed cover form and a one to two pages resume to the Confucius Institute by Friday November 6th, 2015 via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Announcement of awards: by December 1st, 2015.
To download the coverpage, please click here.
To download the endorsement letter, please click here.