Norman C. Francis Excellence in Scholarship Awards
The Norman C. Francis Excellence in Scholarship Awards are granted to faculty members whose scholarship is of such quality that it merits recognition. Scholarship can include, but is not limited to, research, field work, performance and/or creative work, depending on one’s discipline. Criteria for the scholarship award include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Relevance of the scholarship to current trends in the discipline;
- Potential of the scholarship to transform the discipline;
- Recognition of the significance of the scholarship through peer review;
- Impact of the scholarship on student learning, intellectual, and/or artistic growth; and
- Candidate’s publication/presentation/performance record.
Nominees need not excel in each criterion.
All full-time faculty at Xavier University of Louisiana are eligible, regardless of specialty or rank. Two awards will be made annually, one to a faculty member who has worked at Xavier for six years or less, and another to a faculty member with seven or more years of service. Awards encompass a monetary award and a medallion, and will be given at spring commencement.
Nomination letters: To nominate a faculty member, please supply a letter explaining why and how the candidate meets the criteria for the award. Nominations letters are accepted during the Fall Semester, and should be delivered to the Office of the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs, 216 Administration Building.