Faq's - general

Q.  What is Xavier University of Louisiana Title code?
A.  Xavier University of Louisiana Title IV code to be used on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is 002032.

Q.  Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?
A.  Yes. You are required to apply for financial aid every year if you want to be considered for federal or state aid which includes grants, loans, and work-study.

Q.  How will I be notified of the types of aid I'm eligible for?
A.  If you have applied for federal or state aid, the Office of Financial Aid will create a package specifically for your family and notify you by email with instructions on how to view your award notification online.

Q.  Will I receive the same amount of financial aid each year?
A.  Since your financial situation can change from year to year; your award may be affected. Your package will be evaluated annually to account for changes in income, family status, satisfactory academic progress and enrollment status. Special circumstances may arise during the time you are in attendance. Some circumstances may be taken into account through a request for Professional Judgment Review by the parent or student. Forms may be downloaded from our web page. Please complete necessary documents and submit it to the office as needed.

NOTE:  The institutional scholarship you receive from the University will be renewed according to the provisions specified in your contract provided you maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Q.  What is the income cutoff for financial aid eligibility?
A. There is no income cutoff because income by itself is not the only consideration. We consider the entire household income, family size, and number in college, medical expenses, and other information to help us give you the best package possible.

Because many factors make each family's financial situation unique, we cannot make our judgments on income alone.

Q.  I have received an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the Office of Financial Aid?
A.  Yes. If you are receiving any kind of financial aid from the university, private sources, or government sources; you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office.

The university may adjust your financial aid package as needed to prevent an over award. In most cases, outside scholarships are used to replace loans instead of grants.

Q.  Will my eligibility for financial aid change if I change my enrollment status?
A.   Yes, if you withdraw from Xavier University or change the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled, your eligibility could change. You should contact your financial aid counselor in the office to discuss how it may affect your eligibility for financial aid. 

If you enroll less than full-time, your cost of education will be recalculated using actual reduced tuition costs. Your family contribution will not be revised, as you are expected to contribute the same amount regardless of your enrollment status. 

Your eligibility for aid will be reduced in proportion to the reduced tuition or other charges that result from less than full-time study. You must be enrolled in at least a half-time status to be eligible for financial aid assistance.

Q.  What if my family financial circumstances change after I receive my financial aid award?
A. You and your family are obligated to notify our office if you have a change in your family circumstances that is likely to affect your expected family contribution. These changes include a decrease/increase in income, a decrease/increase in the number of family members in the household or supported by parents or a decrease/increase in the number of family members attending college. 

It is important to keep a copy of your completed financial aid applications as a record of what was reported. Other changes such as a loss or reduction of family income also may constitute a reason to ask us to re-evaluate an earlier award. This process requires families to submit in writing a specific explanation of their situation, including an itemization of any reduction in income. Contact your Financial Aid Counselor for further instructions.

Q.  What is the difference between the Financial Aid Office and the Fiscal Office?
A. The two offices have separate administrative functions. The Financial Aid Office determines eligibility for grants, scholarships, loans, work-study and other financial aid and college financing programs. The Fiscal Office is responsible for all billing and collecting of applicable charges and issuing student refunds for all student accounts.

Campus Map        Directory         Contact Us         EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS    © Xavier University of Louisiana. All rights reserved.
(504) 486-7411
EST 1925