INITIATING NEW AWARDS AND ACTIVATING OR REVISING GRANT ACCOUNTS
The following procedures should be used to activate, or revise the budget of an account for a new or a continuing grant, contract or cooperative agreement award made to Xavier University.
Post Award Activities
I. Award Letters:
- Typically, Principal Investigators are informed of terms and conditions of
a grant by an award letter from the agency.
- If Principal Investigator receives award letter, original and
approved budget should be sent to OSP with other documentation:
- Grant guidelines
- Terms & Conditions
- If award notification is sent via email, forward to Ann Smith in OSP,
and/or provide web address of appropriate office within sponsoring
- If award notice is sent to President’s Office, it will be forwarded to OSP and PI will be notified via email and be sent a copy of all documents.
- Office of Sponsored Programs will assemble Award Documentation Package, which includes
- Proposal Clearance Form
- Project Information & Budget portion of Routing Form
- Initiating New Awards And Activating Or Revising Grant Accounts Form (For OSP Use Only)
- Project Budget using Xavier’s budget codes
- Package will contain all requisite items on Checklist for Establishing
External Funding Projects
II. Routing of Award Documentation Package
- PI signs completed Award Documentation Package (ADP)
- PI requests from Xavier’s Office of Human Resources the PAF’s for all Xavier Faculty/Staff who are to be paid from grant
- PI revises PAF’s as appropriate
- ADP and revised PAF’s should be forwarded to PI’s Chair for signature and to other individuals as necessary to authorize PAF and cost sharing.
- Names (printed) and signatures of persons authorized to sign expenditure documents should also be included.
- Entire ADP to be sent to OSP
- OSP sends ADP to Office of Grants and Contracts Accounting (OGCA)
- ADP becomes official award file
- Routing generally takes five (5) working days
Note: OSP reviews subcontracts wherein Xavier University performs as
Subcontractor and Xavier’s PAF’s are revised accordingly (Refer to
II.B, C, D above.)
III. Activating the Account
IV. Coordination of Submission of Final Reports
- OSP negotiates and prepares subcontracts from Xavier Awards to other
institutions and organizations.
- OGCA reviews ADP for consistencies with Xavier’s fiscal policies.
If approved, OGCA assigns grant account(s) number(s)
- OGCA notifies OSP of new account number(s)
- Typically takes 3 days
- OSP notifies PI
- If multi-component project, PI notifies each co-investigator of his/her
assigned account number
- OSP distributes copies of completed Routing Form for New Awards, etc.
with assigned grant number(s) to
- Department Chair
CHECKLIST FOR INITIATING NEW AWARDS AND ACTIVATING OR REVISING GRANT ACCOUNTS
(To Be Completed by the Office of Sponsored Programs)
Title of Project:
_____ Award Letter
_____ Grant Guidelines
_____ Terms and Conditions
_____ Complete Proposal as approved by funding agency
_____ Budget as approved by the funding agency
_____ Personnel Action Forms
_____ Documentation of Approval from appropriate University Review Committees
_____ Institutional Review Board
_____ Institutional Biohazard Committee
_____ Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
_____ Authorization for Cost Share
_____ Routing Form for New Awards and Establishing/Revising Grant Account