OFFICE OF RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
PRE-AWARD CLEARANCE AND APPROVAL
For additional information, contact
Ann Smith, Director of Sponsored Programs Administration (email@example.com/520-5440) or
Leigh A. Mogilles, Coordinator of Sponsored Programs (firstname.lastname@example.org/520-5462) or
Meka Francis, Program Assistant of Sponsored Programs (email@example.com/520-6228)
I. Clearance Process: Whenever a faculty or staff member submits a proposal, he/she must go through the University’s clearance process. NOTE: Failure to do this can result in withdrawal of the proposal.
- Complete New Proposal Clearance Form
- Send to Ann Smith (OSP) electronically or deliver physically 14 days prior to Final Proposal being routed at XU:
- Draft Budget
- Download budget template form from OSP website (www.xula.edu/ord/index.php);
- Complete draft budget and budget justification;
- Complete conflict of interest form for all personnel;
- Contact Ann Smith or Leigh A. Mogilles, if assistance is needed.
- Include with form and draft budget a one page (or less) abstract:
- Describing purpose of proposal;
- Describing objectives;
- Describing contribution to XU’s mission and goals.
- Provide web address where Request For Proposal (RFP) can be located.
- Office of Sponsored Programs will electronically send clearance documents to the following:
- Department Chair
- Academic Dean
- Associate Dean for Scholarship
- Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Senior Vice President for Administration
- Vice President for Fiscal Services
- Vice President for Institutional Advancement
- Vice President for Technology Administration
- Vice President of Office of Planning and Institutional Research
- Manager of Grants and Contracts
- Concerns regarding clearance documents by above listed individuals should be expressed to Principal Investigator with a cc to Ann Smith within one week of receipt of clearance document. If PI is not contacted by any of the above-listed individuals, he/she can assume proposal development may advance.
II. Proposal Routing
- Final proposals should be routed at least five business days in advance of proposal due date. When submitting to department or division chair, the proposal (even if some corrections still need to be made) should be simultaneously submitted, via email, to the PI’s Dean, the Office of Sponsored Programs and the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- A Final Routing From, signed by the PI, along with the final proposal, budget, budget justification, conflict of interest form, and current and pending support form should be routed through and signed/approved by:
- The PI’s department or division Chair, who is responsible for carefully reviewing the details and substance;
- Her/His Dean;
- Others, namely -
- Additional faculty members receiving salary on project and Chairs of these faculty members.
- Required Compliance Certification Approval (RSC, IBC, IRB and IACUC), if applicable.
- The Final Proposal Routing Form with all corrections, budget, and signatures should be delivered to OSP with:
- Original and one copy of final proposal;
- Cover page for proposal.
IV. Proposal Approval
- OSP Staff will review and obtain final signatures from the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and the authorized Institutional Representative.
- Once signed, the original proposal, with attachments, will be returned to PI.
- Proposal will be uploaded for electronic submission by the PI, who should inform Ann Smith or Leigh A. Mogilles when completed. If assistance is needed, contact Ann or Leigh.
- Proposals to be submitted via Grants.gov are to be placed on a flash drive and delivered to OSP one day before the due date.
V. Sponsoring Agency Notification: If proposal is awarded, PI should follow Post-Award Instructions (www.xula.edu/ord/index.php).