Demographics on African American Catholics
- There are three million African American Catholics in the United States.
- About 76 percent of African American Catholics are in diverse or shared parishes and 24 percent in predominately African American parishes.
- 16 living African American Catholic Bishops, of whom nine remain active.
- Currently six United Sates dioceses are headed by African American bishops, including one archdiocese.
- There are 250 African American priests, 437 deacons, and 75 men of African descent in seminary formation for the priesthood in the United States.
- There are 400 African American religious sisters and 50 religious brothers.
- The Black population in the Unites States is estimated to be just over 36 million people (13 percent of the total United States population).
- By the year 2050, the Black population is expected to almost double its present size to about 62 million, and it will increase its percentage of the population to 16 percent.