The Xavier University of Louisiana VIP Weekend
The Most Valuable Scholar Recruitment Weekend will be a high-impact, inspiring weekend event for Black males hosted in partnership between the Office of Admissions and the Office for Student Affairs with support from the Offices of Enrollment Management and the Center for Equity, Justice and the Human Spirit. The purpose of the event is to showcase the benefits of attending the University and
to help Black males see themselves at Xavier University of Louisiana. This event is one part of a greater campus-wide collaboration to enhance our outreach and recruitment of Black males, in particular Black males from our home state of Louisiana.
Inclusive excellence is a core value of Xavier University of Louisiana and enrolling an academically qualified, globally aware student body is essential to the University’s mission. This recruitment event will help Black male students picture themselves as students at Xavier by providing them with a meaningful and powerful, engaged experience at an Historically Black College and University while demonstrating the opportunities and resources available to students.
The application deadline is June 30th
- On-line applications may be submitted by students.
- Students will be selected for participation based on a holistic review of students’ academic record, personal and professional interests and space availability by June 30.
The MVS Experience:
At the MVS Weekend, students will experience the Xavier University of Louisiana campus; meet with current Xavier students, faculty and staff while learning more about the University’s academic and extracurricular programs. The special retreat curriculum will cover:
- College Planning – Attendees will learn more about the steps to take this summer and early fall as they consider options after high school graduation. They will hear practical advice from students and staff about their senior year of high school coursework, campus visits, financial aid and other next steps.
- Social Justice, Resiliency and Leadership – The curriculum will also focus on helping attendees explore the value of social justice and resiliency and their importance to leadership in today’s society. Through professor-led activities and small group discussions, attendees will examine the educational value of social justice and discover how a wide range of viewpoints, experiences and ideas enrich the learning experience.
- College success and academic skills – The weekend’s itinerary will include a Xavier University of Louisiana freshman seminar experience. In a freshman seminar, a small group of students explore a unique topic, led by a top professor at the University. During the seminar experience, faculty and student leaders will share advice on how attendees can prepare for academic
success in college.